Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Recipe: Oats and walnuts bars

I was never a big cereal person, as I child I don't remember eating cereals for breakfast, I don't like milk that much so eating cereal was always a sort of a problem. As a young adult I tried giving cereal a go trying all sorts of different types, from the Special K to Cheerios but that didn't stick long either. I much prefer a piece of bread in the morning or biscuits or anything else really. I did like a few cereal bars, not all, but have tried them too thinking they were/are a good mid afternoon/morning snack. And now the moment has arrived where I gave these bars a home go. They are super easy to make and taste one thousand times better than the store bought and are obviously a bot healthier as you know what go into them. 

This version today are a bit fatty I won't lie, the recipe calls for quite a bit of butter, next type I will try something a bit lighter as I'm sure it can work just as well. Bear that in mind when you make them, if you want a delicious and won't mind about the butter then by all means MAKE THIS, if not, try it with 60 gr of good quality butter, that's what I will do next time!


300 gr oats
130 gr brown sugar
240 gr butter (I KNOW!!)
100 gr honey
100 gr chopped walnuts
90 gr self raising flour
zest of 1 lemon
70 gr raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
50 gr white chocolate 


Preheat oven to 160ÂșC.
Line a 20x20cm square baking pan with parchment paper. 
In a shallow pan, cook over low heat the sugar, butter, honey and a pinch of salt, until the butter is melted and you start seeing bubbles foaming. 
Remove from heat. 
Combine oats, flour, lemon zest and cinnamon in a bowl. Add this mixture to the other mixture and mix well until all is well combined. 
Transfer the mixture to the pan and make sure you press it with your hands so it is well tight in the pan.
Place in the oven and cook for about 45-50 minutes until it turns a light golden colour. 

Let it cool. You need to let it cool completely before cutting it. 

Once it has cooled off completely prepare your chocolate, melt it in the microwave or in a pan using the bain-marie technique. Use a spoon and pour the melted chocolate over it making nice (or not!) lines all over it. 

Let the chocolate harden completely and cut it in bars.  

To save it, you can wrap your bars individually in cling paper and save them in the fridge.

Original recipe come from Greek Chef Akis Petretzikis' cooking site


  1. Hey, what's up, you alright..?

    Great post hun, thanks for sharing.

    Visit me whenever you have time;

    Kisses, i hope you have an amazing easter. xXx

  2. Beautiful Serendipity5 April 2015 at 14:33

    These look so good, Helena! I wanted to wish you a wonderful Easter!! Love you! Deb


Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover