Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Recipe: Tempura veggies


Since recently I never TRULY knew what tempura is (OMG I know!). I had a feeling of course but I'm no massive fan of sushi and sushi restaurants so I'm not all familiar. Now, how wrong was I to not know what exactly this delicious batter can do!
While I try to avoid as much as I can eating fried foods (sigh I love french fries though!!) this dish is truly scrumptious and a great appetizer. It's good to eat whatever tempura you make as soon as you can after you take it out of the pan/frier, let it cool a bit and devour it while it's still crispy on the outside and soft and delicious on the inside. 

We made artichokes (my FAVE!) and asparagus and also shrimps, not pictured because they didn't turn out all that beautiful but were good good good!

Ingredients

(for 4 people)

Tempura batter 
Cold water
Salt and pepper
2 bunches of asparragus
4 artichokes (you need to trim them and keep the little hearts)
Olive oil

Instructions

Prepare the asparagus, wash them and cut the hard end bit. Cut your artichokes (check out this video to see a how-to). Place in a plater and salt and pepper

Prepare your batter. In a large bowl mix equal parts of tempura flour with very cold water, mix well with a spoon until your mixture is well combined. 

Coat all your veggies with the batter, make sure it is well coated to avoid having bits that are not well coated (like some bits in my pics!).

In a  heavy deep pan heat your oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, it has to be warm/hot. Gently place your vegetables into the hot oil, be careful! Don't throw them in or you can burn yourself. Place them gently. Turn the veggies so you get them fried evenly. Take them out once well fried (about 4-5 minutes) and let them drain on a paper towel. 

Enjoy warm when they are still crispy and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover