Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Recipe: Sweet Potato gnocchis

I have loved gnocchis all my grown up life. The normal kind, the ones you find in the super market fridges, in the fresh pasta section. These little beautiful potato balls intrigue me and I have wanted to make them at home for ages. 
They are not your middle of the week evening kind of recipe you wipe together quickly, let me tell you. They are not super easy (like most of the recipes I post here!!) but they are delicious, you have to like gnocchis though, there is no point in making them if you don't like them! 
I made them with sweet potatoes and loved them. I have frozen half of the batch and I'm thinking of making them again tomorrow, bring it on!!


3 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 egg yolk
2-3 cups of a.p. flour
aout 1/2 grated parmesan
salt and pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 200ÂșC.
Wash and pat dry the potatoes. Cover in aluminium foil and bake for about 45 minutes or until they are soft. 
Take them out, uncover carefully and let them cool down a bit until it is safe to skin them. Place the peeled baked potato in a bowl and mash them with a fork/Potato Masheror use a Potato Ricer(I love this little gadget!).
You will need to get a pure like texture. Allow it to cool.
Add the egg yolk and mix well until well absorbed. Slowly add in the flour a kneed carefully your dough. Be careful with how much flour you use, you need enough to have a strong consistency but not too much that you will be able to taste it once cooked.
Add the grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Make a round ball. In a floured surface divide the dough into four equal parts and roll out into a large sausage like form. Cut the gnocchis from it, about 1 1/2 inches long gnocchis.

To cook, bring a pot with salted water to boil, add 1 tbsp of oilve oil and once the water is boiling add the gnochhis. Once the gnocchis come to the surface they should be ready. Drain and serve with your favorite pasta sauce. I browned a bit of butter and added them in the pan once cooked, then added some more parmesan cheese. YUM!


  1. I adore gnocci and I adore sweet potato. This might just be the best combination ever! Can't wait to give it ago!

    Sophie xxx

  2. They look so good, Helena!! They don't sound as difficult as I originally thought they would be. I have the ingredients here so I might just give it a shot since I'm snowed in! Thanks for sharing. Love, Deb xo

  3. That looks delicious ! i want to try that i really love it ! ^_-
    xo , Lovelacee
    Cheap Datpiff Views.


Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover