Thursday, January 15, 2015

About the books!

I bet most of you love reading. I do too. Especially when a book engulfs me in its magic. I don't love it as much when that doesn't happen, which let's be honest, it can happen easily because well, we don't love everything after all no matter how hard we try. 
When I'm looking for a book recommendation I text my friend Theo. She reads a lot and always has some good recommendations. 

Today I thought it would be fun to give you some of these recommendations (a few recents and a few that I have read these last couple of years) and  share a few of the books that are currently in my wish-list (and see if you recommend them to me too). Oh and there are also a couple that I didn't love as much as I thought I would, you know these deserve their place too, right?

The-ones that these last couple of years everyone has recommended, yes, here they are too!

Where'd You Go, Bernadetteby Maria Semple: Heartwarming and funny. I read it more than a year ago and I still remember it fondly. Easy to read, nice and funny characters.

The Goldfinchby Donna Tartt: Right, right? Long but thrilling, you want to know what will happen to that young boy who is the main character in the book. History, New York, likeable and not characters and a lovely all together read. 

Gone Girlby Gillian Flynn: Another obvious choice of course. I read her two other books after reading and I actually liked Sharp Objects the best but Gone Girl is a winner.

My latest reads

This Is Where I Leave Youby Jonathan Tropper: I got very excited about this after watching the movie trailer. I was let down a little bit but the story of this unconventional jew family while mourning the patriarch is a funny one. Lots of humour, lots of real-life situations and after all a love story. I also liked the movie quite a bit, Jane Fonda is pretty amazing!

Before I Go To Sleepby SJ. Watson: I was SO excited about this when I started reading it, unfortunately I didn't manage to finish it! I had to read somewhere else how it ended but it bored me incredibly. The story is fascinating but the main bit of the book became too repetitive and slow for me. Lots of people loved it though so don't be put off by my comments if you really want to give this a go. 

Little Liesby Liane Moriarty: I started reading this a couple of days ago and I'm really looking forward to it. Has anyone else read it? Any comments?

The ones in my Kindle waiting to be read
I'd love to hear what you think of these so I can decide what to read next.

The ones in my wish list (same as above)
Yay, nay?

What else would you recommend?
Now, I'm not a super sophisticated reader, I don't like reading super classics (I read quite a lot of french classics when I was in school and I think that made me say "never again"). I appreciate the goodness and grandeur in these but for my day-to-day reading I like something lighter, please bring on your recommendations!! 


  1. A lot of really great tips ...
    Love book posts :)

  2. I have read a lot of the books in your list. The one I recommend above the others is Americanah! It is brilliant.

    Sophie xx


Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover