Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Health: Curcumic Tea


Curcumin, or else turmeric, is one of the healthiest ingredients that one can use in the kitchen. I obviously don't need to say it but a healthy and balanced diet is a basic wellbeing element, duh right?! Nonetheless I had no idea what turmeric really was, it isn't one of the spices I tend to use while cooking and my knowledge about its benefits was non existent. 
Curcumic will benefit your body as your brain and it's one of the most powerful and effective nutritional supplements that exist. Let's cut to the chase. 

Curcumin is

Anti inflammatory and highly antioxidant. It repairs damage in the body and helps fight those perky "foreign bodies" that can cause us harm. Long term inflammation is a bi*ch and  can cause bad bad bad diseases that we don't want anywhere near us! SO by consuming curcumin we are helping avoid this inflammation. Now I'm no expert and not trying to be one so I would definitely recommend doing a thorough search and reading for yourselves how this Indian spice can do SO SO good for you. 

In a nutshell curcumin has been used amongst others to:

- delay Alzheimer disease
- prevent and fight cancer
- relieve from pain
- treat allergies
- control cholesterol

As I said, for me it is difficult to incorporate it in my daily diet, it doesn't massively goes with what I eat so I had to find an alternative way to consume it. Take into account that curcumin is difficult to digest and is poorly absorbed by the bloodstream, apparently combining it with black pepper helps. 

Now the way I find easier for us here at home to consume is as an infusion. So here goes the very simple recipe. 

Ingredients

3 cups of water
1 full tsp of ground curcumin
Organic Agave sirup (I use it in powder form, you can use it either way) or Raw organic honey (in the photo I added the little bear honey but I use agave and if you use honey try for it to be organic)
Unwaxed lemon

Instructions

Easy peasy!
In a pan add the water and curcumin and bring to a boil. When it starts boiling, lower your heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and let it rest for a few minutes. 
Now you can either serve immediately, adding a bit of honey or agave to sweeten it and a wedge of lemon. You can use a small strainer to strain your tea to avoid the clumped spices (or not, its up to you!). Or you can save it in a bottle and drink it cold which is what we prefer around here.  

There are many other versions of this, I've seen many recipes where cayenne pepper, cinnamon or ginger are added and also many versions with milk. Definitely worth checking to find what you might like the best (check Pinterest!).


I used these resources to find out more about curcumin:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover