Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Recipe: Classic meatballs in tomato sauce


I ADORE eating meatballs, they are a classic in my 2 countries and I have enjoyed them since I can remember. In London I learned to eat them with tomato sauce (I used to hate tomato for so so long, I'm so glad I learnt to eat better in time) with either white rice or spaghetti. Most times I used to buy them pre-packed at Waitrose and while they were nice enough they are no close to the real deal! 

Ingredients

500gr ground beef meat
Small piece of stale bread (about a cup)
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 onion chopped
1 tsp salt
 pepper to taste

For the sauce

2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 onion chopped
1tsp sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
3 large tomatoes grated (Beef tomatoes are best)

Instructions

Prepare the tomato sauce first, it will make everything easier. In a large frying pan heat the olive oil, add the onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and oregano and cook for about 20 minutes. Set aside while you cook the meatballs.

Put the stale bread in a small bowl with water and let it soak for 10 minutes. To prepare the meatballs, in a large bowl place the ground meat and make a hole in the middle and throw in the rest of ingredients: slat, pepper, egg, parsley and onion. 
Squeeze the wet bread to remove the excess liquid and add it too. With your hands miss all well until all is well combined. 
Dampen your hands lightly and form little balls with the mixture. 
In a heavy bottomed frying pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and cook the meatballs over medium heat until they are brown on all sides. Add the tomato sauce and cook further until they are well cooked inside/out. 

Serve on top of white boiled riced or my favorite with spaghetti!

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover