Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Recipe: Healthy Apple Cake

On Saturday while I was half watching a movie, half browsing the Internet I came across a Greek recipe for a healthy version of the classic apple cake. I checked we had all the ingredients and got my hands dirty baking. It's extremely easy, quite healthy (butter is substituted by olive oil and there are no eggs involved). To make it even better you could even use brown flour. Perfect for breakfast!


3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup walnuts
2 small apples, grated
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups a.p. flour
2 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup orange juice


Preheat oven to 170ÂșC. Lightly coat your coat tin with olive oil. 
Grate the apples and juice the orange. Set aside. 
In a bowl mix together the flour, cinnamon and baking powder. 
In a second large bowl whisk with a handheld mixer the sugar with the olive oil (or using a free standing mixer or by hand with a whisker). Add the flour mix and the orange juice alternatively and keep mixing.  Add the apples and the walnuts and mix with a spoon lightly until all is well mixed. 
Pour the mixture into your tin and bake for 45 minutes (or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed all dry). My cake came out gooey and very moist which I love, but I know it' not everyone's cup of tea so if you want it less gooey bake for further 10 minutes (but be careful you don't want to burn it!). Sprinkle with dusting sugar!

Recipe via: Savoir Ville


  1. This looks so, so good! Will definitely have to give this a go. And even if it's remotely healthy, that means I can have seconds!


  2. Ooh this does look good and the bonus is that because its quite healthy I can make it for Annie! (I'm going to omit the walnuts but I bet its still yummy!) Thanks for posting. x


Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover