Friday, February 28, 2014

My humble Best Oscar dresses list ever

Yes that time of the year is here again, Oscar time and big dresses time. While perusing my Facebook feed I came across one of the very many Best Oscar dresses lists there are around the net and I thought to myself "what dresses did I love". I remember some big ones so here is my own list. 
I don't have any clear favorite, all are equally stunning not only as dresses but also as dresses worn my each of the women they were worn. I think a dress my not be gorgeous per se but look incredible on someone specifically which for me is also a good enough reason to make it to my list. The Elis Saab worn by Mila Kunis in 2011 is BREATHTAKING, like anything the lebanese genius does!

Moving on, from oldest to latest, my very own list!

Audrey Hepburn couldn't be absent in her Precious Givenchy in 1954

Elizabeth Taylor looking incredibly hot like the real woman she always was. She wore her custom made baby blue dress by custom designer Edith Head in 1970 and I'm sure she turned many many heads. I think her hair and jewellery compliment it beautifully. 

This pink dress marked my adolescence, I remember it so vividly, a pink taffeta Ralph Lauren worn by Gwyneth Paltrow in 1999. I think we all wanted our own pink dress back then, come on admit it. 

Another one I remember very well is this vintage Valentino Julia Roberts wore in 2001 to pick up her Oscar for her role as Erin Brockovich (I loved that film!). A real vintage piece!

This one is one of those cases I was talking about, not the most lovely dresses (I mean it is gorgeous don't take me wrong!) but I think Charlize Theron looked AMAZING in this Gucci in 2004!

In 2006 I had two faves, two ladies I really love their style, back then and now too: Reese Whiterspoon in a real gem, a vintage Christian Dior (Walk the Line is one of my all time fave movies btw!) and the oh so stylish Michelle Williams in her subtle mustard Vera Wang. Red lips and mustard dress is a good choice people!

Penelope Cruz rocked this big Versace dress in 2007. A big one indeed but how appropriate for such an event! I love seeing big gowns, I think in part this is what dressing for such an event is all about, go big or go home!

She made the cape look cool again, Gwynie (twice in my list!) looking amazing in her Tom Ford in 2012.

And finally, to me (and many of you too I'm sure) the girl who can do no wrong, Jennifer Lawrence at her very best in Dior last year. She is the one I'm looking forward to seeing this weekend. 

Happy Oscar viewing lovelies, let's come back on Monday and chat about who the best dressed was! 


  1. Mila Kunis' dress was my absolute favorite. It was an unusual choice for the Oscars, but not too far out there. And it was elegant but also sexy, and paired with a lovely smoky eye! Perfect.

  2. Mila looks gorgeous in that shade of lavender. Soft and romantic. xo

  3. I completely agree Elisa, the more I look at it the more I think it's my favourite!!

  4. She looks indeed lovely, I think it's her best look Debby!! Hope you are well xxx


Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover