Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Make it: Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin Soup

I hated soups, big time. Well I should say I didn't eat soups. But then one cold day I thought it would be a good idea to make one at home. I googled and came across this butternut squash soup recipe on Sweet Paul. I liked most of it and got to it. Since then, probably a couple of years ago, I have made it again and again, not too often though as I don't want to get bored of it. 

Printable recipe here

Pumpkin Soup

(for four)

1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 large butternut squash or a pumpkin (I actually used pumpkin but the original recipe calls for butternut squash - about 1 kg)
1 large potato
1 carrot
2 leeks
3 1/2 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup of cream
Salt, pepper, olive oil

Pumpkin Soup


Prepare your vegetables: peel and slice the onion and garlic, peel, de seed and cut in cubes the pumpkin, potato and carrot and finally slice the leeks, only the white part. Prepare your chicken stock too.
Heat the olive oil (about 2 tbsps) in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft, don't over-fry. 
Add pumpkin, potatoes, leeks, carrot and chicken stock. 
Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Once the vegetables are cooked either put everything in a blender and blend until smooth or with a hand held mixer blend it in the pan. 
Pout into the pan and add cream, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. 
Serve and season with salt and pepper. 

I like eating soups with bread, I don't eat much bread but with soups it is important I think. This time I made a super simple mini cheese sandwich. In little pieces inside the soup it was delicious!

Printable recipe here
Recipe adapted from Sweet Paul


  1. I really enjoy pumpkin in the winter! I'm so upset that I don't find a good pumpkin here in Doha!

    New post:


    Page Bonjourchiara

  2. Oh that's such a shame, hopefully yiu can find it someday and try this soup. Thanks for coming by :) x


Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover