Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Make it: Brie and figs french toast


So last week I went all crazy and bought a bunch of figs. There are a couple of fruit street vendors on my way to work and while I had never ever liked figs I decided to try them. I tried one and liked it, I tried the second and loved it. So off I went to find a recipe with figs. I didn't want to make a cake or a salad so when I found this French toast version I knew I had hit it! It's incredibly yummy, super filling and the combination of the fig, cinnamon, and the brie is to die for!

Printable recipe here


Ingredients
(makes 2 sandwiches)

For the figs mix 
2 Tablespoons of Butter
4 Tablespoons of Honey
5 Figs, peeled and cut in 4

For the toast
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup of Milk
1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
4 Slices of bread (your own choice)
Bree Cheese , slices into 4-5 pieces
Butter to cook


Instructions

For the fig mixture

In a small pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the honey and figs and stir while cooking over medium-low heat for about 5-6 minutes.

Remove from heat and set aside while you prepare the french toast.

For the French Toast

In a large bowl whisk the milk, eggs and cinnamon. Dip and soak the bread for 1 minute on each side.

In a pan over medium heat, melt butter a place the bread. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Remove from heat and place on a plate, place the slices of the Brie to cover all your bread and place a good quantity of the fig mixture on top. Cover with the other slice to make a sandwich. For the cheese to melt nicely put it on the pan for 1 minute over medium heat and let it melt.

Take it out and place on a plate, serve with more fig mixture on top. You can sprinkle some sugar on top if you like it a bit sweeter. 


Printable recipe here
Original recipe adapted from here

5 comments:

  1. so glad, let me know how it goes, its delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT. this is insane. figs are amazing at the moment and i've done the fig & goat cheese pairing, but brie? i'm getting on that. x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover