Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Make it: Spaghetti with Clams


This is one of my all time fave recipes. My mom used to make it on Saturdays after going to the market to get fresh clams. Unfortunately while I lived in London I never tried to make this recipe myself as it wasn't easy to find good fresh clams (without venturing it to the fish market which I never ended up going). Anyhow, a easy recipe that should please any seafood lover. 

Printable recipe here


Ingredients
For 2

400 gr fresh clams
300 gr dry spaghetti
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt, pepper
1/4 tsp chilly flakes
1 large garlic glove minced (or 2 if you like garlic a lot)
1 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of clam stock (I used the remaining water I cooked the clams to open)
a very small bunch of finely chopped parsley
Parmesan if you want


Instructions

In a bowl with salt and a dash of olive oil, bring your water to the boil and cook the spaghetti until is al dente. Each pasta has a different cooking time so it's worth checking the package. Once cooked, drain and set aside. Worth adding a bit of extra olive oil to avoid the spaghetti gets all sticky. 
While the pasta is cooking, in a pan add 1 tbsp of olive oil and your minced garlic, salt and pepper and cooked for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is golden, make sure it doesn't get burnt as it can happen easily. Add wine, chilly flakes and allow the wine to reduce for about 3 minutes.
Add your washed clams and cover for about 8-10 minutes. The clams with cook and open by themselves, make sure you throw away any clam it didn't open up. 


Stir in well and make sure all the juices get mixed together. Most of the liquid should disappear but some should remain. 
If your pan is large enough, add your spaghetti and stir in well, if it's not large enough, do it the other way around and stir in your clam mix into the spaghetti pan. Stir in the chopped parsley and serve warm. You can sprinkle some parmesan but I know many people think that seafood pasta shouldn't be eaten with cheese so it's up to you, I love it both ways!


Printable recipe here

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious Helena! Keep these recipes coming! I would love some more Spanish recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna, I will definitely try to make some more Spanish recipes. Next week I have a Greek one planned I hope you enjoy it. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover