Thursday, June 20, 2013

A recipe: Risotto

On Friday last week I made a risotto, I love risotto, comfort food but it usually never makes me want to fall flat afterwards. I make several variations of the same basic recipe, some times it's a mushrooms and bacon affair or a all mushrooms one. I have also tried an asparagus and cherry tomatoes version, which is not my favourite I must admit. The roasted butternut squash was also a good pick. 
Anyway, last Friday I made an Asparagus and Green Beans risotto, and here is the recipe ( I would have loved to have more pictures but unfortunately this recipe post wasn't planned, so only this little Instagram one is available, but trust me, it's worth it!)


Asparagus and Green Beans risotto
Arborrio Rice 
2 packs of thin asparagus
1 pack of green beans
1 glass of white wine
1.5 litre of chicken broth (I use these Knorr cubes, has to be warmish)
Butter
Grated parmiggiano cheese

Let's make it!
There are several steps. It's a super easy, and yummy, recipe but these need to be done. 
Warm some water wit 1 (or 2 to make it tastier) chicken cubes. Keep them warm. 
Blanch your green beans. How? I use this method and works wonders. Set them aside. When done I cut them in half and let them rest. 
To make the rice: In a large saucepan, I use my 24 Le Creuset casserole but you can use anything big enough, warm 3 spoons of olive oil. When hot, throw in the rice (I used about 400 gr for 2 but it's quite a lot) make sure it is well coated with the oil. When you cant see the oil anymore (1 min more or less) throw in the wine and stir well to boil the rice with the wine. When the rice has taken in all the liquid, start slowly throwing in the broth in batches while stirring all the time. Medium/low(ish) heat. It's therapeutic... kind of... It takes between 20 minutes and half an hour, I would taste it and make sure it's not getting overcooked. The rice should be soft and yet crunchy when bitten. 
While doing this and keep filling the rice with the broth and keep stirring, juggle it all and warm some olive oil in a pan and throw in the asparagus (that you will have previously washed and cut in little pieces). Cook them thoroughly, don't burn them though. At  the very end, when they were done and the pan was still warm and at a very very low temperature I threw in the beans to warm them up a tad bit. 
While the rice is still on the hob, throw in your greens and stir, on very very low heat, throw in a bit of butter, 1 table spoon or a bit more if you want it creamy. Stir in well and let it melt nicely, yum...! Take it out of the heat and stir in the grated cheese until it melts too. Let it cool a wee bit, and serve warm. 
YUM my friends, it was by far my fave risotto!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe - looks great. I have never made risotto without onion or leek so I'll be interested to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very yummy! I usually cut an onion too but this time I didn't even think about it and it was as tasty as it could be!! Let me know if you try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am yet to try my hand at making risotto , pinned this for future , thanks for sharing.

    Meghan Silva's Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover