Monday, February 04, 2013

Lavender and Lemon biscuits

Another Monday without an outfit, I promise it will be back next week, unforeseen circumstances didn't allow for it however I have something lots yummier! I read about shortbread lavender cookies when Kate Middleton suffered of morning nausea. I had never heard about them and was mystified. Lavender in cookies? Such an interesting concept.  I looked around and apparently they don't come around easily in the shops so I went along and looked for a recipe.

lavender biscuits

I found the perfect one in this cute little blog and even though I had never successfully baked cookies or biscuits I went along and gave them a go. They are easy to make and actually do taste quite nicely. My oven unfortunately is not state of art and they got a bit churned but if you are looking for an alternative shortbread recipe this is my recommendation:

Lavender and Lemon Biscuits (recipe found here)
3/4 cup sugar
Zest and juice of one lemon
2 teaspoons of dried lavender (I found mine here)
1-3/4 cup floor (plain)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
12 tablespoons of cold butter in cubes (1-1/2 sticks or 170 gr)
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a food processor (I love that no mixer was involved, this is the main reason why I chose this specific recipe and no others) mix the sugar, lemon zest and lavender until all is well mixed. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the sugar mixture, pulse and combine well. 
Incorporate the butter pieces and pulse well until all is mixed and resembles fine cornmeal. Separately mix together the egg yolk, lemon juice and vanilla. While the food processor is on add the egg mixture slowly and continue processing until the dough forms into a ball. 
Turn the dough and any dry bits onto a clean work surface and gently gather into a ball. Working quickly, roll the dough into a cylinder and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Chill the dough until firm and cold, about 45 minutes in the freezer or 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (medium moderate). Line baking sheets with parchment paper (I lined the one and only I have and baked in batches).
Remove the dough from its wrapper and use a sharp knife to slice the dough into thick rounds. Place the rounds on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 1" apart. Bake until the centers of the cookies just begin to color and the edges are golden brown, about 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through the baking time. Cool then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Makes approximately 4 dozen.
 I used a cookie cutter to cut them into flowers as soon as I took them out of the oven.


Photos by A Diary of Lovely

10 comments:

  1. OMG, i love baking with lavender, it's my fave! Have to try this out. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: lavender and lemon are also incredible in a tea bread...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, these look delicious and elegant! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet. I've never heard of lavender in cookies either. Is it supposed to soothe nausea? Interesting. They came out so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently so Debby, I had no idea either! They are quite yummy actually!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rachel, and very easy to make! I only wish I had a better oven

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh I might give it a go! I bought a jar of edible lavender so will have to find other recipes to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, this would be a wonderful treat paired with tea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Pin It button on image hover