Tuesday, July 05, 2011

In my Kitchen: Maureen from Inglenook Decor Musings

The fantastic Maureen from The Inglenook Decor Musings is sharing a mouthwatering recipe. Look how cute she is! I first discovered Maureen through her ship The Inglenook Decor, and since then i have been a fan of her lovely style and genuine kindness. Make sure you get to know her, if you don't already that is :)

Hello everyone! I've been enjoying perusing at all the kitchens of the finest design bloggers & all the yummy goodness of the scrumptious recipes. How about Emma's kitchen from the Marion's house? And that Tuscan Lemon Chicken recipe from Christine of Bijou and Boheme? I'm always excited when Helena asks me to participate in one of her fabulous series but I was a little panicky as my kitchen is not my dream kitchen. I want it to be brighter, refreshing, have white cabinets, more cottage-like. But alas, I think most of us dream of the dream kitchen. I also rarely cook and when I do, it's not the best...but I can mix up things together. Does that count? So, here you go...

Eat in or Out: Out...most definitely!
Take Away or Restaurant: Restaurant
I cook for: my daughter & husband, if ever or whenever it happens :)
Healthy food: tomatoes, egg whites, onion omellette
Indulgence: Anything sweet that's moussey or have whip cream on top! I have a hopelessly sweet tooth!
Weekend meal: Tex-Mex at a restaurant overlooking Lake Austin
Date dinner: Bacon Shrimp & Grits with Pommes Frites + a French 75 at Bess Bistro
Quick fix: A protein shake
Mild: Cholula Sauce
 Spicy: Thai Green Curry, Ghost Pepper

My kitchen is: totally needs to be used more!
Favourite gadget: our Cutco knife! it cuts sooo good!
In the kitchen, I couldn't live without: the milk frother, my morning cafe au lait just has to be perfect, thanks to my husband!
My cooking bible: Google
My must have ingredients: garlic and jalapeno
Spicy or mild: most definitely S.P.I.C.Y.

Our tableware and glassware is mostly white & clear. I'm starting my own white hobnail collection that I hope Edie Ross would be proud of. 

My Recipe: Ack, I may be the most undomesticated woman when it comes to the kitchen...I tried cooking before but it never did like me. Once in a while, I would attempt it. So here it goes, it is the quintessential summer cake and I just love strawberries!So today, I'd like to share a recipe for strawberry shortcake.
No, not this one...

But this one

Here's the easy way: Buy a pound cake or Angel Food cake + fresh strawberries + whip cream. Get it all together however you want it and Voila!

Or the right way from the Food Librarian

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups cake flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 - 2 cups heavy cream
Whole strawberries, for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter, 3/4 cup  sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and  fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl  after each addition.
3. Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add dry ingredients to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk in 3 additions. Divide among the prepared pans.

1. In a large chilled bowl, whip the cream with the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar until stiff.
2. Assemble the cake with cake, strawberries, whipped cream and repeat. Finish with your best strawberries on top. 
Enjoy the Summer! Enjoy the sweetness!


  1. Oh, wow... that photo just killed me! That looks like it tastes so good! So many strawberries & yummyness! Mmm.. mmm.. mmm! Another recipe must-try ;)

    xo katie elizabeth

  2. I adore Maureen... really enjoying this feature!

  3. mmm.... strawberry shortcake is my favorite! i like it with ice cream though. :)

  4. this looks delicious! Perfect for a summer day!

  5. I love this feature too, it's utterly mesmerising.
    That cake reminds me so much of my childhood.

  6. oh my! that cake looks soo good!!

  7. I haven't had pound cake & strawberries in forever! Just reminded me how much I love that!


  8. That recipe looks so good! I NEED to make this! xo

  9. Oooh strawberries! Great post!

  10. cute chevron rug! i love strawberry shortcake- great summer dessert!

  11. Yummy recipe and I'm dying over the white hobnail collection and also that chevron rug!

  12. I find it so interesting to see what people cook! Great recipe too!
    Rachie xo

  13. strawberry shortcake!! I've always been so intimated by this desert, but perhaps i'll try this recipe!

  14. What a great summer treat, and Maureen is just as sweet!:) (love all the hobnail!)

  15. The kitchen is one of my favourite places, as I love to cook and make things! Can't wait to have a new beautiful kitchen to play in and I love seeing other peoples!x


Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover