Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Stuff Series **Design Darling**

very very very excited to have the beautiful Mackenzie from Design Darling today. her blog is chock full with beautiful inspiration, from fashion to interiors and shopping. She is part of the very succesful Rue team and I am sure a very very bright future is just around the corner. Please welcome Mackenzie!

Favorite discovery:Blogging! I started Design Darling in November 2009 and have loved every second. It has been so rewarding to share my creative influences with my readers and to meet so many like-minded friends along the way!
Favorite place in the world: I adore New York, Paris, and Amsterdam. But if I want to escape the hustle and bustle, it’s our family home on Nantucket, a tiny island thirty miles off the coast of Massachusetts. Bike rides, old lighthouses, shingled cottages... For me, it’s heaven on earth.
Style icon: Olivia Palermo. I have yet to see a picture of her in which she’s not perfectly polished from head to toe! We share a penchant for tailored silhouettes and high high heels. As it happens, I would also move into her old Tribeca apartment in a heartbeat!
Favorite movie: For old-school films, I love À Bout de Souffle (1960) and The Graduate (1967). The first is full of Parisian flair and I adore the 60’s fashion of the second: leopard coats, shift dresses, and elegant updos.

Underwear: Hanky Panky or Victoria’s Secret. Though I’ve been known to dash to the Walmart near campus in order to procrastinate laundry... Oops!
Watch: I must get better about wearing one! They’re such chic accessories but I’m always checking my phone for the time. I love this tortoiseshell watch by Michael Kors.
Day dress and day bag: My go-to look is an oxford shirt from Rugby, BDG skinny jeans from Urban Outfitters, and cowboy boots I’ve had for so long you could call them vintage. On campus I’m usually toting a navy blue Longchamp book bag. 
Evening dress: I love J.Crew’s dress collection but lately I’ve been getting into Rent The Runway. They have some of my favorite designers like Diane von Furstenberg, Haute Hippie, and Milly. It’s such fun to spend only $50 and get to wear a designer dress for a night!
Jeans: Oops, I already answered this one! But I cannot say enough good things about BDG skinny jeans from Urban Outfitters. They fit like a glove and are often on sale for just $39. I have more pairs than I’d like to admit!
Shoes: I love my Tory Burch Reva flats as much as the next girl but my newest love is my pair of gold sparkly TOMS. Supporting a good cause and channeling Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz at the same time? The best.

Where you live: I’m finishing up my senior year at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, but I’m originally from Darien, Connecticut, a suburban town 45 minutes outside of New York City.
Favorite art: I hope to fill my first apartment with the likes of Janet Hill, Leigh Viner, and Michelle Armas. For artists whose work I seek out in museums, I love Chuck Close and Mark Rothko. 
Bedding: I like plain white sheets from Pottery Barn or The Company Store. But one day I’ll splurge on monogrammed bedding from Leontine Linens!
Coffee table books: Domino, Downtown Chic, Glamour: Making It Modern, Gypset Style, Hue, Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, and People.

Perfume: Ralph by Ralph Lauren.
Moisturizer: No one should be taking beauty advice from me — I do most of my beauty shopping in the drugstore! I like Cetaphil, inexpensive and perfect for my sensitive skin.
Mascara: Maybelline’s Collosal mascara is the best I’ve found. It made a difference even my dad could notice!
Shampoo:I like to switch it up. Somehow my hair feels better every time I use a new shampoo! I alternate between lots of drugstore brands but I’m dying to try the Moroccan Oil shampoo and conditioner. Their anti-frizz serum is fantastic!
Blush: Clinique blush in Cupid.
Lipstick: I’m not much of a lipstick girl. For lip gloss, I swear by L’Oréal’s Colour Juice in Bubble Gum; it’s the perfect tint of pink for my fair skin. But most days I’ll admit it’s just chapstick: Burt’s Bees (with pomegranate!), Nivea, or Soft Lips.

Thank you SO SO much Mackenzie!


  1. I love this post since it allows us to find blogs that we have not found yet...and a sneak into their lives. So fun!

  2. Gorgeous post! I'm a fan Mackenzie's blog and loved getting to know her through this series! xo

  3. I love cover girl blush, Olivia Port, and the tortoise shell watch!

  4. Ohhhh a new bloggy poo!! Yes! Right on Helena :)

  5. I always enjoy reading this series. :)

  6. Mackenzie is one of the sweetest, most talented girls out there - and she's utterly charming to boot. Thanks, Helena, for sharing her my stuff with us! xo

  7. I could see myself nodding along pretty much everything she said! Love love love her blog and I'm so glad she did your My-Stuff-series! Thank you so much for sharing! xo

  8. Love Mackenzie... such a sweet girl w/ so much talent. She knows I share her love of Nantucket! Spoken as a former hairstylist... she's right... you should continually switch shampoos they work better when you do. Also, Cetaphil is inexpensive and it's the best! xo

  9. Great post! I'm totally the same about watches.

  10. Love Mackenzie and her blog! I have the same style icon and also love, BDG skinnies & Rent the Runway! :) xoxo

  11. I love the Rue team! Seeing inside the brain of one part of it is so great.

    Ramblings of a Small Town Girl
    Fanciful Brainstorm - Tumblr

  12. She is so adorable, love all of these picks and her blog! I have to try on those BGD Urban Outfitters skinnies now!

  13. Will so be trying that mascara after that great reccomendation xx

  14. Wow, what a thorough feature! She's lovely!

  15. Such a good one! Mackenzie - try out Organix Moroccan Oil Shampoo/Conditioners! You can find them at the drugstore and they're amazing!

  16. Loved reading more about you Mackenzie! And we definitely share our love for Nantucket, absolute heaven

  17. ah i want those toms! her blog logo is too cute!

  18. I wasn't hungry until I saw some of your posts on food. Amazing visual skills!
    Keep it up ~ S


Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover