Sunday, March 21, 2010

Saturday Comfort Food

One of my favorite meals is "Giouvetsi". It's Greek comfort food and it's yummy and relatively simple to make. I just made it and ate it and I really wanted to share it with you all. I make my version with diced bee steak and kritharaki (orzo).
Ingredients for 2
500 gr. diced beef steak
3 cups of orzo pasta
2 tbsp of tomato sauce + a pinch of sugar
salt and pepper
Feta cheese

Lay your cubes in the frying pan with olive oil and cook for 5 minutes, steering, or until it becomes brown-ish. Add hot water and boil on medium heat. Remove with a spoon the scum created. Stir eventually and let cook for... 1 hour...


For the tomato "sauce" (flavor) I used fresh tomatoes grated, but you can also use canned tomato sauce (pasata). Add the tomato (with a tiny bit of sugar) and more water if necessary and stir occasionally. I don't know exactly how long, I usually get a piece of meat out and try it to see how tender it is. 
Season with salt and pepper. Now, not earlier, because apparently salt will harden your meat. 


When the meat is soft and tasty, and your over is hot, add the kritharaki (orzo pasta). How much is up to you, I usually do it be eye but today used a cup to measure, I used almost 3 cups, but we were hungry...


I also added some feta cheese. 
Put it in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Stir if necessary.


Pictures unfortunately don't do justice to this really tasty dish.
Let me know if you would like to try it (and don't understand my "recipe", which I probably wouldn't)

9 comments:

  1. Helena, qué completa eres..... en tu blog puedo encontrar todo lo que necesito!!!!! Gracias por tus posts... cuándo vienes a Barcelona? Podríamos intercambiar recetas, yo podría enseñarte algunas argentinas que están buenísimas ;)
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks better than you think!! lovely blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "Greek comfort food" is enough encouragement to try this dish! Your instructions are really clear, so I'd be surprised if anyone couldn't follow this recipe. Will have to give this a go :)

    - Anna Jane x
    (PixelatedBlonde.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not the cook... but I think I can try this... it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom makes something similar to that and it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Helena! ¿es un plato griego? estuve en Grecia hace dos años pero no ví este plato tan rico, que si lo llego a ver. Me voy a apuntar tu receta, luego la traduzco (a ver si la traduzco bien) y a ver qué sale que me encanta experimenta. Aunque la pasta Orzo no sé donde la voy a encontrar.
    Un beso!!! Ya te contaré...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try this. Looks so simple and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! I love feta cheese so much.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover