Saturday, March 20, 2010

An attempt to mimic Bakerella!

Yesterday was the Sports Relief day in the UK, I admire the British for their engagement to charities. So it was also the wear red and bake cakes day at the office. For charity of course. I love baking but don't do it as often as I'd like because my waist wouldn't forgive me. I have been wanting to make some of Bakerella's pop for a while now. Bakerella makes me happy. I was planning to make these: 


But I didn't... I bought everything, the yellow candy melt, the edible pens, the lollipops everything from a shop in the internet as here these aren't everyday stuff you find in the local supermarket. And off I went. So nervous and excited, I thought it would take me ages! While doing the cake balls I decided to make a 50:50, half smileys half choc pops. Yummy, I melted the milk chocolate and sprinkled them with stars, silver balls and sprinkles. Pretty! I melted the yellow candy thing.... and... Bakerella: I don't know how you do it but it didn't work... maybe the candy was too thick? I made too and forgot about my smiley faces, melted more chocolate and finished the job. 
My BF loved them, they were delicious he said. At work it was funny... they looked at them and seemed surprised, but didn't dare to touch, they were all asking what was inside, I kept saying "they are cake pops!" well... verdict? They ate them all and I had great feedback! Have you tried them? Have you made them? Any tips for the candy melt?
(sorry for bad quality photos :S)


Enjoy the weekend!!

17 comments:

  1. hi helena! i wrote a blog post about cake pops a few weeks ago (it was an attempt to mimic bakerella's too)! i actually tried doing the cupcake pops but i could never get the shape right so i did the round cake pops instead. i'm not sure what you did with the candy melts that it didn't work.. but i just basically microwave the candy melts for 30 secs and then take it out and stir, melt it again for 30 secs and then stir.. so that it is in the microwave for a total of 30 secs. Then I roll the cake balls in the melted candy melts and use a spoon to help me roll it and then stick the lollipop stick in!

    here is my blog post on it:
    http://www.sandyalamode.com/2010/02/15/cake-popalicious/

    not sure if it will help, but i hope you have better luck next time!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look yummy, Helena. And thanks for the link to the Bakerella site. They have a great recipe for chocolate mint brownies today!! Smiles!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Por un momento al ver la foto en pequeñito de tu post, pensaba que habías sacado la española que tienes dentro y hablabas de los chupa-chups :D

    Yo probaría con mucho gusto tus "bolitas de chocolate", creo que te han quedado muy bonitas, y son todo un detalle...

    Besos :X

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! You have way more patience than me. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are sooooo cute! BOTH versions hehe! Things never turn out the way they look in the photos eh!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those super cute. I have never made a cake pop. I just might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First I want to congratulate you for this amazing blog!
    We Are Pleased To Announce The Launch Of Mobile Movies in 3gp format, About Dubai, Bollywood Actor news Update And Many More.

    To start just go to http://shahrukhkhandon.blogspot.com/
    We hope you like it. Please send us any feedback and help us improve the sites further.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cake pops are so clever and sweet! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooooooo I love it. Yum yum YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helena, your version still looks delicious! There's always next time for the happy face cake pops!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy. I want one of those.

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so delicious darling. I am impressed. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, you're really not helping my chocolate cravings... ;)

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Bakerella too! Sooo inspiring but I never have the patience or courage to try :)

    I love how yours came out even if they weren't the smileys. Who cares, they sound delicious and look adorable!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yours came out great! The one time I attempted to be Bakerella, I had more like "cake globs" on a stick :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. so cute and they look so yummy! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover