Sunday, December 13, 2009

Carrot Cupcakes

Today I spent most of the day... baking carrot cupcakes, and I really thought it would be easier and quicker (a walk in the park mainly...) well it was and it wasn't.
I read on Vogue that at the moment every girl's dream is to open a cupcake shop, of course, who wouldn't want to be surrounded by beautiful icing colors and edible sprinkles? I had that dream too... but think about it... bake hundreds of cupcakes a day? and they have to look gorgeous? bye bye dream... I'll keep baking of course, but for ourselves. My dream was also crushed by the fact that once everything was ready, kitchen all cleaned and half of my cupcakes were frosted I realised I didn't have enough cream, Oh God... so off I went and made more icing...
 I used a recipe from Waitrose's  catalogue (I adore their recipes honestly) and the cream cheese frosting was from Hummingbird Bakery's book. They came up really tasty, but not very good looking. 
This is what you will need:


2 large eggs

175g golden caster sugar
150ml sunflower oil
200g self-raising flour, sifted
3 tsp mixed spice (IT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE)
2 medium carrots, coarsely grated (I used a big one, grated in the food processor , easy and quick)
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing:
1½ x 200g tubs Philadelphia Light Soft Cheese, 300g icing sugar, sifted and 75g unsalted butter at room temperature.
How to:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Place 12 paper muffin cases in a deep bun or muffin tin.
  2. Put the eggs, sugar and oil in a large bowl and beat  for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
  3. Fold in the flour, spice, grated carrot, vanilla extract.
  4. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases then place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
  5. For the frosting, beat together the butter and icing sugar until smooth, then add the cream cheese and beat again. Chill until ready to use. I used a plastic storage bag to make a "home-made icing bag" and it worked!



1 comment:

  1. haha cupcake shops! It's true, I have dreamt about owning a bakery... but I must admit, I do not like cupcakes...! They are pretty to look at, though. I'm just trying to bring donuts back. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover